Sunday, January 4, 2009

two recipes i can't live without


Nigella's Sticky Toffee Sauce

3/4 cup dark brown sugar (I like it better with light brown sugar)
3 oz butter
couple of spoonfuls dark corn syrup (she uses golden syrup, but I haven't been able to find it)

Melt on flame into sticky goo. Boil. Add 2/3 cup heavy cream. Bubble a bit till volcanic and molten.

Better Homes and Garden's Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sauce

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 5-ounce can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk

Melt chocolate and butter. Add sugar. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter. Cool slightly.

I jar both recipes. To reheat I just put them in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds. Because they are homemade you have to stir them after they've been stored because they do tend to separate a little. I put the toffee sauce on french toast/waffles/pancakes with whipped cream if I have any on hand. I use both sauces on ice cream and/or bananas. Miyo went through a 3 month period where she would not eat a banana. So I cut one up in a bowl and added the toffee and some homemade whipping cream-she loves bananas again. I have used the toffee on top of brownies and cakes as well. In the above picture I have doubled both recipes, so if you don't want that much you can just do the regular recipe amounts.

No comments: